Sunday, February 22, 2009

Prompt treatment speeds heart-attack victim's recovery

Randy Ray was on his way to the hospital in January when he started feeling some chest pain. But the 51-year-old Somerset, PA, man was not coming in for an examination or testing. He was headed to work. 'I got my morning coffee and I started having a pain in my chest and jaw,' Ray said. Like many heart attack victims, Ray first tried to ignore the symptoms and went on to work in the engineering department at Somerset Hospital. The pain soon became more severe, and Ray broke out in a sweat. That's when he decided to stroll up to the emergency department. 'They brought me right back to the exam room,' Ray said. A shot of nitroglycerin and other treatment had Ray’s pain under control, and he was sent to Somerset’s catheterization lab the next morning. - Tribune Democrat

No comments: