Sunday, May 2, 2010

Walking Heart To Heart (USA)

"2,400 people. That's how many Americans die of heart disease each day. That's also about how many people took steps to avoid becoming a part of that growing statistic. More than 2 thousand people made strides for their hearts from their hearts at Pioneers Park in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. Lori Plautz is walking to make hers stronger. "My husband died at the age of 49 a year and a half ago from a heart attack," said Lori Plautz. That came as a shock to Lori, who later found out her high blood pressure put her at the same risk. "I just decided then, that was my time I needed to make a change in my life and I wanted to be around for my kids," said Plautz. Doctors say nearly 2,400 Americans die from a cardiovascular disease each day. Many of them don't even know they have a problem until it's too late. "Heart disease is the number one killer in Americans and the scary thing about heart disease one quarter of people, their first symptom of heart disease is they keel over dead," said Dr. Ryan Whitney, Chief Medical Officer at the BryanLGH Heart Institute. "It's a tough thing and that's why we are out here raising awareness for heart disease and raise money to fight it," Whitney added. Doctors say the leading risk for heart attack and stroke is lack of physical activity. That's why Lori is walking for her husband, herself and others. "If I can talk someone into eating healthy, starting exercising, something if I can save one person then it's worth it," she said. The walk was presented by BryanLGH Heart Institute and BryanLGH Medical Center.

No comments: