Monday, May 11, 2009

How wonderpants cured my angina and gave me my life back (UK)

How wonderpants cured my angina and gave me my life back (UK)"Sandra Ansley was just 50 when she was diagnosed with angina, the painful and disabling heart condition that affects 100,000 new UK sufferers each year. 'I was fit and healthy,' says the mother of two from Charlton, West Sussex. 'I have never smoked, I wasn't overweight and swam regularly. The symptoms started gradually, but before long I was in agony almost constantly.' Within a few months Sandra was housebound. She was forced to give up her job as an accountant and unable even to play with her three young grandchildren. 'The frustration was almost worse than the pain,' she says. 'An attack could even be caused by happy emotions - anything that made my heart beat faster. 'The pain was sometimes sharp and sudden, making me almost double over, and sometimes more like my chest was being pulled apart. Just walking up stairs, turning over in bed or picking something up off the floor would bring one on. 'I was breathless and had to give up swimming. I couldn't work, because simply the stress of walking into a meeting would bring it on.' Considering the severity of her condition, it is remarkable that today Sandra, now 60, is symptom-free. She runs the Woodstock House Hotel with her husband Nicholas, 50, swims twice a week and, best of all, enjoys boisterous visits from the younger members of her family. And it is all thanks to a little-known treatment known as Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP), which involves wearing a pair of inflatable trousers. - Mail

No comments: