Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Eight in 10 English men 'will be too fat by 2020'

Eight in 10 English men 'will be too fat by 2020'"Eight out of 10 men and nearly seven out of 10 women in England will be too fat by 2020, according to new data recently released. Researchers said that while recent research showed obesity among children levelling off, instances among adults show no sign of doing the same. Some 41 percent of men aged 20 to 65 will be obese by 2020, with 40 percent overweight, according to the figures from the National Heart Forum, based on data from the Health Survey for England. That makes a total of 81 percent. Among women, 36 percent will be obese and 32 percent overweigh - a total of 68 percent. By 2050, this will lead to sharp increases in the number of people suffering strokes, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, researchers said. "These trends demonstrate that the cautiously optimistic picture we presented in November 2009 for a levelling off of future obesity rates among children is not mirrored in adults," said Professor Klim McPherson of Oxford University, who also chairs the National Heart Forum" - Canwest

No comments: