Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Angina medicine could protect from carbon monoxide poisoning

Angina medicine could protect from carbon monoxide poisoningScientists funded by The British Heart Foundation have found that a commonly-used drug for treating angina could help protect the heart from damage caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is difficult for people to detect - it can be produced by faulty gas appliances such as heaters. Poisoning from the gas causes 1.6 million deaths worldwide every year - it causes many people to develop heart rhythm problems called arrhythmias which, if left untreated, can be fatal. The team, made up of scientists from around the world but led by the University of Leeds, looked at how carbon monoxide triggers these arrhythmias. The researchers have improved our understanding of the damage that occurs in the heart's cells after breathing in carbon monoxide. This is vital if we are to develop effective treatments

No comments: